If your computer is experiencing trouble booting Windows 10, it can be a stressful situation. After all, you need your computer up and running in order to get through most days. While it’s easy to panic in such a situation and assume you need to start looking for a new computer, Microsoft now gives you a better option. Through its Media Creation Tool, you can create a new version of Windows 10 to reinstall on your computer. Alternatively, you can use this process to create your own Windows 10 disk from a downloaded version of the operating system.
What is a Media Creation Tool?
The Media Creation Tool allows you to download a Windows 10 install file onto a flash drive (or DVD), so you can use it to reinstall Windows 10 should something malfunction on your computer or just to have a hard copy of the operating system.
Before You Start
You will need a few things before you start this process:
- A computer with internet access: If you are simply downloading the file for a rainy day, this can be your normal computer. If that computer is malfunctioning, you will need a separate computer.
- A blank USB flash drive or DVD with 5 GBs free memory: flash drives are recommended so you don’t have to worry about whether your computer has the right drivers for the DVD.
- A product key: this is the 25-digit code you received when you bought Windows 10. It allows you to prove you are using your copy of Windows.
You should also investigate the following information:
- Is your version of Windows 10 32-bit or 64 bit?
- Does your computer have the right system requirements for Windows 10 (if it wasn’t previously installed)?
- What language do you want Windows 10 to run in?
How to Create Your Install File
Insert USB (or DVD) and go to the Microsoft website to download the file. At the website, go to your Windows 10 download page and click Download tool now.
Open MediaCreationTool.exe. This should come with the downloaded files. When you click it, a window should open up.
Agree to the license agreement.
Choose to create install media. Choose this option instead of the upgrade option.
Choose your preferences. By default, the program will want to create a version of Windows that matches the one already on your computer. If you have different specification needs (such as 64-bit instead of 32-bit), deselect the box that says Use the recommended options for this PC. Once the changes are made, click next.
Choose where you want the file. Direct the program to put the install file on your USB or DVD
Create the file
Why trust SoftwareKeep USA?
SoftwareKeep USA is a trusted software reseller and a Microsoft Certified Partner We exist to make tech accessible by helping people like you choose the perfect product, get a great deal, and to help you with the install process if necessary. If you’re looking for genuine Microsoft software at the lowest price, complete with 24/7 technical support and advice – you’re in the right place.
Let us help you
One of our Installation Specialist will help you set up your new software hassle-free. Software sold separately.
Digital download 100% authentic from Microsoft and new software in minutes.
Shop with confidence
We guarantee money back if you have any problem with our one of our softwares.
Lowest price guarantee
We always have the best deals but if you find an identical product cheaper than us, we‘ll beat it by 5%.