Setting rules in outlook is easy. Creating rules in outlook can help with two important tasks:
- Email message organization and
- Prompt updates when something changes.
Therefore, in this guide, you will learn how to create rules in outlook using wizard rules, manually, and how to delete rules in outlook. Let's get doing!
Step-by-step Guide on How to Create Rules in Outlook
- Right-click on any message on your inbox or select another email folder and Rules.
- Select an option that suits you. Note that outlook always suggests creating a rule based on the recipient and sender. To get more options, select Create Rule.
- In the Create Rule dialog box that opens, from the section "When I get email with all of the selected conditions," select one more condition.
- Under " Do the following section," you have the options to:
- Set a rule to move a message to a folder
- Play a selected sound
- Display in the new Item Alert Window
- Click OK to save your rule.
How to Create Rules in Outlook Using the Rules Wizard.
Typically, there are three rules you can create using the Rules Wizard.
- Stay Organized Rule: This rule helps to filter and follow-up messages.
- Stay up-to-date Rule: This rule gives you a notification if a message fits in specific criteria.
- Custom Rules: These are rules created without a template.
To create a rule using the Rules Wizard in Outlook, do the following:
- Go to the last page of the Rules Wizard and give your rule a name.
- If you want to apply the rule on the messages you've already received, checkmark Run this rule now on messages already in "Inbox."
- Note, by default, the rule is always checked. You can uncheck the box if you don't want the rule to be applied.
- Click Finish to save and turn on the rule.
How to Run Rules Manually in Outlook
- From the File tab > select Manage Rules & Alerts.
- Next, from the E-mail Rules tab > Select Run Rules now.
- In the Run Rules Now dialog box, under Select rules to run > choose the rules you to run.
- From the Run in Folder box, you can select a different folder by choosing Browse, select the folder and click OK.
- Accept the default settings of all messages in the Apply rules to list. You can as well change to read on unread messages.
- Finally, select Run Now.
Creating a new folder only takes a few steps. In the box titled Rules and Alerts, you will see three options to the right side of the box: OK, Cancel, or New. To create a new folder, click on New. A box will pop up, allowing you to name your new folder. Type the name of the new folder in the space. Click OK. Your screen will go back to the original dialog box. Click OK to close it.
How to Delete a Rule in Outlook.
Rules are always created to make work and organization easy. However, if the rule no longer makes sense, it's worth deleting it.
To delete a rule in outlook, follow the steps below:
- From the File tab > Manage Rules & Alerts
- In the Rules & Alerts dialog box, select E-mail Rules tab > Choose the rule you want to delete.
- Select the delete symbol and click OK.
That's it! Enjoy using the newly created rules.