These days more new devices are using WiFi Direct than ever. Wi-Fi Direct lets two devices establish a direct, peer-to-peer WiFi connection without requiring a wireless router. This means WiFi becomes is now a way to communicate wirelessly, very much like using Bluetooth.
WiFi Direct is similar in concept with “ad-hoc” WiFi mode. Unlike an ad-hoc WiFi connection, though, WiFi Direct offers an easier way to find nearby devices and connect to those devices.
There are different types of WiFi Direct applications, but what exactly is WiFi Direct in Windows 10, how does it work, how do you connect it? Read on to find more.
Is WiFi Direct Supported by Windows 10?
WiFi Direct is supported on Windows 10 IoT Core devices through the use of a WiFi Direct enabled USB WiFi adapter. To make sure that WiFi Direct is enabled two things need to happen.
- The hardware of the USB WiFi adapter has to support WiFi Direct and
- The corresponding driver of the USB WiFi adapter needs to support WiFi Direct.
WiFi Direct offers a service for WiFi device-to-device connection that doesn’t require a Wireless Access Point (cordless AP) to set up the connection.
WiFi Direct on Windows 10 lets Win 10 users experience the same WiFi connectivity that many other devices are using. With it, you can set your computer to the TV or use it for Internet connectivity that has much better security. In fact, WiFi Direct lets you connect to any other device with your PC much better and easier than even Bluetooth.
WiFi Direct SetUp
- Turn on the device you want to connect to your PC.
- Navigate to Settings, Network, and Internet, and select Manage WiFi Settings.
- Browse through the menu to discover the Wi-Fi Direct alternative. Enable Wi-Fi Direct following the specific instructions for your device.
- Note the network name (SSID) and the passcode. You’ll need them.
- Turn on your PC. Access the Windows Charms bar, click “Search” and type “Wireless.” Pick “Manage Wireless Networks” from the options.
- Click “Add,” then choose the Wi-Fi network of your Wi-Fi Direct device and enter the passcode. Your PC is now connected to the Wi-Fi Direct network.
The advantages of using WiFi Direct are many. It is easier and more efficient than Bluetooth and can easily handle transferring large amounts of data. With Wifi Direct, you will be able to connect your PC to any device you want and enjoy faster wireless connectivity and more productivity.
Subscribe to our Newsletter for more news like this.