Discord is a messaging application used by millions of people on a daily basis. Plenty of users solely communicate through Discord, and share plenty of online content via links. However, many users have noticed that their Discord is opening links in the wrong browser app. This can easily be fixed.
Users are reporting issues with Discord opening links using a non-default browser. This issue can be incredibly frustrating, especially if you already have your default browser set up and running. Luckily, you can learn what to do now.
- Fix Discord Opening Links in Wrong Browser
- Method 1. Select the appropriate browser
- Method 2. Check your default browser in Windows 10
- Method 3. Run Discord from your browser
- Method 4. Launch Discord as an administrator
- Method 5. Set default browser on Discord mobile
- Final thoughts
Fix Discord Opening Links in Wrong Browser
In this article, we’ll be going over the 5 known methods of fixing Discord opening links in the wrong browser. The step-by-step instructions will guide you to solve this issue and return to using Discord how you love it.
Method 1. Select the appropriate browser
The first time you open a link using the Discord app, you can select which browser on your device you want to use for opening links in the future. Remember that this option only works if you’re opening a link for the first time!
- Click on any link sent to you in Discord.
- Choose the application you want to use for opening links from Discord.
- If the app you want to use isn’t present on the list, scroll down and select More apps.
- Navigate to the .exe file of the browser you want to use. For example, if you want Discord to use Google Chrome, select the chrome.exe file found in C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application.
The links you open from the Discord app will default to this browser in the future.
Method 2. Check your default browser in Windows 10
Discord themselves confirmed that the app uses your system’s default app for opening links. This information was made public in a Twitter thread, in reply to users experiencing issues with the application’s link handling.
The best step to take is confirming that your Windows 10 default browser matches your desired browser.
- Open the Settings app by clicking on the gear icon in the Start menu. Alternatively, you can open the app by pressing down the Windows and I keys on your keyboard.
- Click on the Apps tile.
- Using the pane on the left side of the window, switch to the Default apps tab.
- Scroll down until you see the Web browser section. Here, click on the currently selected browser to open a list of options.
- Select the browser you want to use as your default for opening links on Discord. If the browser you want to select isn’t on the list, click on the Look for an app in the Microsoft Store option.
- Discord will start opening links in the application you set as your default web browser.
Method 3. Run Discord from your browser
If the desktop app is giving you a hard time with links, try switching to the web-based version of Discord.
- Open any web browser installed on your computer.
- In the address bar, type in https://discord.com and navigate to the official Discord website by pressing Enter.
- Click on the Open Discord in your browser button.
- If you already have an account, click on the Login button in the top-right of the page. Otherwise, you can register by following the on-screen instructions and entering a username.
- Enter your login credentials and click on the Login button.
- When using the web version, every link you open will automatically use the browser you’re currently viewing Discord in.
Method 4. Launch Discord as an administrator
In rare cases, launching Discord as an administrator can fix issues with opening links in the wrong browser.
- Use the search bar in your taskbar (or simply press the Windows + S keyboard shortcut) and search for Discord.
- Right-click on the Discord application from the search results.
- Select the Run as administrator option from the context menu. If prompted by the User Account Control (UAC), click Yes to allow the app to launch with administrative permissions.
- Need help? Check out our How to make a local user an administrator in Windows 10 guide.
Method 5. Set default browser on Discord mobile
Lucky for Discord mobile users, the process of setting your default browser is natively included in the Discord mobile app for both Android and iOS.
- Launch the Discord application on your phone.
- Tap on your profile picture in the bottom-right corner of the screen to bring up the User Settings tab.
- Scroll down and tap on Web Browser, found under the App Settings section.
- Select which browser you want to use when opening links in Discord.
If you need any further help with Discord and other Windows 10 apps, don’t hesitate to reach out to our customer service team, available 24/7 to assist you. Return to us for more informative articles all related to productivity and modern-day technology!
Would you like to receive promotions, deals, and discounts to get our products for the best price? Don’t forget to subscribe to our newsletter by entering your email address below! Receive the latest technology news in your inbox and be the first to read our tips to become more productive.