Discord is an extremely popular application for communicating and entertainment. However, many users have run into an issue with the Discord Update Failed error, causing the software to not launch. In most cases, Discord gets stuck in a failed update loop and doesn’t allow users to proceed with the application.
Today, we’ll show you how to fix the Discord Update Failed error with simple, easy to follow methods. Let’s get started.
Tip: Do you have a different issue with Discord? Make sure to check out our Help Center to find a solution.
Recommended article: How to Fix Discord Not Opening (6 Working Methods)
Jump to Methods Fix Discord Update Failed Error
- Method 1. Run Discord as administrator
- Method 2. Rename the Update.exe file
- Method 3. Disable Windows Defender
- Method 4. Temporarily disable your antivirus
- Method 5. Reinstall Discord and clear app data
- Final thoughts
Use the following methods to fix the discord update failed Error:
Method 1. Run Discord as administrator
A simple solution to the Discord Update Failed error could be simply running the application with administrative permissions. This allows the updater to make changes on your device, therefore download and install the new Discord update.
Please note that for this, your local account must be an administrator. Otherwise, you’ll need to have access to an administrator password.
- Use the Windows 10 Search bar in your taskbar and look up “Discord”.
- Right-click on the Discord application from the results, typically found under Best Match. Here, choose the Run as administrator option from the context menu that pops up.
- If prompted by the User Account Control (UAC), click Yes to allow Discord to run and make changes on the device. This is required in order to update the application.
Method 2. Rename the Update.exe file
Discord troubleshooters were able to identify an issue with the application’s update.exe file. We recommend you attempt to rename this file in order to successfully update Discord to the newest release.
- Navigate to your AppData folder:
- Press the Windows + R keys on your keyboard and paste in “C:\Users\Username\AppData” without the quotation marks. Make sure to replace Username with your local account username.
- Alternatively, open the File Explorer, then navigate to This PC → C: → Users → Username → AppData.
- Open the Local folder. Inside, locate the Discord folder and open it as well.
- Right-click on the Update.exe file, and choose Rename.
- Type in UpdateX.exe (keep in mind that this is case-sensitive) and hit Enter. You may proceed to try running Discord again, preferably as an administrator following the guide above.
Method 3. Disable Windows Defender
In some cases, Windows 10’s default antivirus measures conflict with the Discord Update, causing it to continuously fail. You may disable Windows Defender to try and update Discord by following the steps below.
- Open the Settings application using the Windows + I keyboard shortcut, or the gear icon from your Start menu.
- Click on the Update & Security tab.
- Navigate to Windows Security → Virus & Threat protection → Manage Settings.
- Toggle off Real-time protection. This is going to almost fully disable Windows Defender until the option is toggled back on.
- Try running Discord again, preferably as an administrator following the guide above. If the update succeeds, Windows Defender was most likely conflicting with the Discord client.
Method 4. Temporarily disable your antivirus
Antivirus applications are known to cause issues on computers by interfering with your internet connection or blocking apps and services from running properly. You can test if the antivirus you’re using at the moment is causing the Discord Update Failed error by temporarily disabling it.
Note that this method is not recommended as it is unsafe to use your computer without protection. Only proceed if you’re aware of the possible risks and have a backup of your system to revert any damage that may happen.
- Right-click on an empty space in your taskbar and choose Task Manager.
- If the Task Manager launched in compact mode, make sure to expand details by clicking on the “Mode details” button.
- Switch to the Start-up tab using the header menu located at the top of the window.
- Find your antivirus application from the list and select it by clicking on it once.
- Click on the Disable button now visible in the bottom-right of the window. This will disable the application from launching when you start your device.
- Restart your computer and open Discord to see if the error appears again. If Discord is able to update properly, your antivirus was the most likely culprit.
Method 5. Reinstall Discord and clear app data
If none of the solutions above seemed to work, your last resort should be to completely remove Discord, then reinstall it using the official installer. To do this, follow the steps below.
- First, you’ll need to uninstall Discord. Open the Settings application using the Windows + I keyboard shortcut, or the gear icon from your Start menu.
- Click on the Apps tab.
- Find Discord from the programs list. You can click on Name to have the list organized into alphabetical order, or use the built-in search to locate the application.
- Click on Discord and choose the Uninstall option.
- Click Uninstall again to let Windows 10 remove Discord from your device. Now, you can move on to delete residual files in your app data folder.
- Press the Windows + R keys on your keyboard. This is going to bring up the Run utility.
- Type in “%appdata%” and click on the OK button. This will immediately redirect you to the AppData folder in File Explorer.
- Locate the Discord folder, then right-click on it and choose Delete. This will remove most residual files.
- Head over to discord.com and download the latest version of the application by clicking on the Download for Windows icon.
If you need any further help, don’t be afraid to reach out to our customer service team, available 24/7 to assist you. Return to us for more informative articles all related to productivity and modern day technology!
Would you like to receive promotions, deals, and discounts to get our products for the best price? Don’t forget to subscribe to our newsletter by entering your email address below! Receive the latest technology news in your inbox and be the first to read our tips to become more productive.