When working in Microsoft Word, your highest priorities should include the look and feel of your document. It's possible that you just typed up an excellent essay or made an awesome business report. However, if you don't format your documents correctly, people might have a hard time reading your files. This can cause dissatisfied teachers, clients or employers.
If you want to avoid making this mistake, you need to learn how to correctly format your Word documents. The very first step is learning how you can modify the size of your text, as well as the font you're using. Follow our step-by-step guide to make your documents more readable, eye-catching and memorable.
Things you’ll need
- A device with Microsoft Word installed and activated.
How to change Text Size and Font in Word
Let’s start learning!
- Launch Word, then either open an existing document or create a new one from the welcome screen, then type in your text.
- If you only want to change the size and font of a portion of your text, you need to select it. Hold down the left mouse key and make your selection. Now, only the selected text will be affected by the font and size change. If you want to change your entire document, you need to select everything by pressing the Ctrl + A keys on your keyboard.
- To change your text to a different font or size, you need to be on the Home tab in the Ribbon.
- In the Font section, you'll see two drop-down menus. The one on the left shows the name of the current font you're using. The default font in Word is either Calibri or Times New Roman, you're most likely seeing one of the two.
- The other drop-down menu shows the current size of your text. By default, Word sets the size to either 11 or 12 points.
- To change the font you’re using, open the first drop-down menu. This will display every font installed on your computer. When you hover over a font, you’ll see a preview of how it’ll look like in your document. Simply click on the font you want to use to select it.
- Similarly, you can click on the second drop-down menu with the numbers to change the text size. Hovering over a number will preview how your text will look like, and clicking on it finalizes the change.
How to Change the default text size and font in Word
You can also change the default text size and font in Word. This means that each time you start a new document, Word will automatically use the font and text size you define.
- Click on the arrow in the bottom-right corner of the Font section (again, found in the Home tab).
- A new window will appear. Here, you can select a font, modify the size of it and even apply font styles and effects. However, if you're settings a default font, we recommend sticking to the Regular style without any effects.
- After you customized the font you want to use, click on the Set As Default button in the bottom-left corner of the window.
- Another window will come up. Here, select if you want to make your settings the default font in the currently open document only (first option), or make it the default font for all documents (second option).
- Press the OK button.
We hope that this article was able to help you learn how you can change the size and font of your text in Microsoft Word. Do you know someone who’s starting out with Word and other Microsoft Office products? Don’t forget to share this article with them! Your friends, classmates, colleagues or employees can all get help in getting started with Word. If you want to learn more about Word or other Microsoft Office suite applications, feel free to browse our section of guides.
If you’re looking for a software company you can trust for its integrity and honest business practices, look no further than SoftwareKeep. We are a Microsoft Certified Partner and a BBB Accredited Business that cares about bringing our customers a reliable, satisfying experience on the software products they need. We will be with you before, during, and after all the sales.
That’s our 360 Degree SoftwareKeep Guarantee. So, what are you waiting for? Call us Today on +1 877 315 1713 or email email@example.com. As well, you can reach us via Live Chat.